February is Heart Healthy Month!
Last week, as it was Valentine's Day, I touched on the hottest heart rate training zone, Zone 5.
This week, I'd like to slow things way, way down and comment on the coolest of the 5 heart rate training zones, Zone 1, or the Fat Burning Zone. While time spent in the Fat Burning Zone has it's time and place, one of the more common mistakes I see in clubs is the use of the Fat Burning Zone program on cardio equipment. Without knowing anything more, it certainly seems like a reasonable choice in cardio effort for a lot of folks:
While the fat utilization tops out beyond the fat burning zone, carbohydrate utilization continues to escalate with increased effort. And this is why spending time in the fat burning zone isn't a practical way to loose fat: at the end of the day, it's all about calories. CaloriesIngested = Calories Spent + Fat Stored. If you consume more calories than you burn, you add fat. If you burn more calories than you ingest, you loose fat.
Intended to provide a higher level of service to clients interested in a more focused cardiovascular programming model, as well as a way for potential clients to gain limited exposure to one on one training, three new programs have been developed.
Maroon Program Participants Receive, Monthly
- Cardio equipment access 4x/wk
- An introductory 1:1 cardio workout
- Individually tailored prescribed cardiovascular program (PreCOP)
- Weekly Tips Cardio Email
- $99/mo Non FT Clients
- $19/mo Current Active FT Clients
Gold Program Participants Receive, Monthly:
- All Maroon Program benefits
- A New Heart Rate Monitor
- Max Heartrate testing
- A one on one heart rate monitored personal training session
- A one on one heart rate monitored cardiovascular session
- FT cardio team membership
- $229/mo Non FT Clients
- $139/mo Current Active FT Clients
Platinum Program Participants Receive, Monthly:
- All Gold Program benefits
- An additional one one one heart rate monitored personal training session
- An additional one on one heart rate monitored cardiovascular session Enrollment into the FT MSP Maroon Nutrition Program (Spring 2009)
- $379/mo Non FT Clients
- $279/mo Current Active FT Clients